Music > Head Cheese
|Head Cheese ARCHIVES|
|More from Chris Parker|
You ain't alone (7/14/2010)
Howling for the holidays (12/17/2008)
It's about the music, man (3/26/2008)
Burning Brides love their rock hard and hook-y. While occasionally lost in stoner-metal rabbit holes, it's never far from melody, a propulsive bottom-end and raging riffs. The latest, Hang Love, arrived after the band bought out its V2 contract, and continued to mix grunge, metal, punk and garage. After moving from Philly to L.A., guitarist Dimitri Coats married longtime girlfriend-bassist Melanie Campbell, who shared her thoughts on the eve of the Brides' first major tour in two years.
5. Can a band survive DIY? We left the major-label world and we're attempting to take control of everything. It's a gamble but, in the long run, I think it's going to make the difference between us having a career or not.
4. Will my cats still love me? While our fans have been unhappy about how long it's been since we've been the world's busiest touring band, our two wonderful kitties have been happy to have Dimitri and me all to themselves.
3. Packing: It's a tough time of year. You can't bring all summer clothes 'cause it gets cold at night and, yet, do you need a jacket? Is it OK to smell onstage? No one can get close enough to tell, right?
2. hypocrisy: I found out today that most government vehicles run on CNG (compressed natural gas). Why are we drilling for oil in pristine wildlife refuges and fighting a war for oil companies when the government already uses better-cleaner-cheaper fuel?
1. Alt fuel: When I'm at home I drive a Hybrid Prius, so we wanted to tour environmentally too. [We] just bought a van that runs on CNG. Chris Parker
Wednesday, Aug. 29, at the Magic Stick, 4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit; 313-833-9700. With Helmet.
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.